Stem Cell Synergy Solution
Streamlined and efficient ES/iPS Cell Culture for basic to clinical research.
Embryonic stem cells (ESCs) and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) hold monumental potential for life sciences research. Stem Cell Synergy solution products offer feeder-free, xeno-free and chemically defined cell culture, with GMP options available for clinical applications e.g. in advanced therapies. STEM-CELLBANKER® media enables reliable cryopreservation for long-term, high-viability cell storage - optimal for cell therapy applications.
iMatrix-511 Recombinant Laminin E8 Fragments
- Cell culture matrix consisting of recombinant Laminin-511 E8 fragments.
- Sustains long term propagation of wide variety of cell types, especially pluripotent cells.
- Superior adhesion of human PSCs.
- Time-saving coating-free method.
- Superior for single cell cloning e.g. in CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing.
StemFit® Feeder-Free Stem Cell Culture Media
- Feeder-free stem cell culture media for iPS and ES cells.
- Xeno-free and chemically defined.
- Research and clinical grade formulations.
- High affinity to large number of matrices.
- Weekend free culture.
- Cost effective – 50% lower volume of media required than standard.
STEM-CELLBANKER® Cryopreservation Media
- GMP-grade, animal-free cryopreservation media.
- Long term storage of ES and iPS cells at -80˚C or -196˚C, and other fragile cell types.
- High viability - hiPSCs showed 98.1% cell viability upon thawing.
- No programmed freezing or liquid nitrogen required.
NEW: STEM-CELLBANKER® EX
- Reliable and safe cryopreservation media for applications in advanced therapies, such as cell therapy.
- Animal component-free and chemically defined, with ingredients already approved for intravenous administration.
- No requirement for washing of the cryopreservation solution upon delivery of the cell therapy product.
- High cell viability post-thaw, and high retention of cell identity.
Generation of transplantable corneal epithelium from hiPSCs
- Professor Ryuhei Hayashi and colleagues at Osaka University in Japan have described a protocol using all Stem Cell Synergy products to generate transplantable corneal epithelium from human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs). This was achieved by isolating differentiated cells from specific concentric zones relating to different lineages of whole eye development, termed the SEAM.
- The researchers used StemFit medium for the pre-culture and maintenance of human iPSCs and the iMatrix-511 Laminin E8 fragments for both hiPSC culture and as a substrate for the growth of cells and tissues of the eye.
- Clinical trials began in 2019, where the first patient with corneal epithelial stem cell deficiency had a hiPSC-generated cornal epithelium transplant, to evalute safety and efficacy.
"Previously, feeder culture was performed, but the StemFit/Matrix-511 combination showed stable growth."
Serum-free differentiation of gene-edited human monocytes from hiPSCs
- Monocytes and macrophages play a vital role in our innate immune response, with impaired function of these cells being associated with both autoimmune and metabolic disorders. To advance treatments for these diseases, a reliable source of human monocytes is essential.
- At the Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceutical company, Dr Di Cui and colleagues have developed a serum-free protocol, using StemFit media and iMatrix-511 E8 fragments, to differentiate hiPSCs into human monocytes - with a 30-fold higher yield compared to the previous protocol.
- The study also highlights the feasibility of producing gene-edited hiPSC-derived macrophages by conducting CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing on hiPSCs and obtaining single KO clones, which can then undergo differentiation.
- Potential application: large scale production of therapeutic macrophages engineered wtih chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) to attack solid cancer tumours (Klichinsky et al. 2020).
Superior cell culture with iMatrix-511 E8 fragments
Miyazaki et al (2012) showed that iMatrix Laminin-511E8 fragments demonstrate greater adhesion efficiency of dissociated cells than Matrigel or the intact Laminin-511 protein.
A novel efficient feeder-free culture system for the derivation of human induced pluripotent stem cells.
Yamanaka, S. et al. Scientific Reports, 2014, 4, 359
An effective serum- and xeno-free chemically defined freezing procedure for human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells
Holm, F. et al. Human reproduction, 2010, 25(5), 1271-1279
Co-ordinated ocular development from human iPS cells and recovery of corneal function
Hayashi, R. et al. Nature, 2016, 531(7594), 376-380
Coordinated generation of multiple ocular-like cell lineages and fabrication of functional corneal epithelial cell sheets from human iPS cells.
Hayashi, R. et al. Nature Protocols, 2017, 12(4), 683-696
Efficient Adhesion Culture of Human Pluripotent Stem Cells Using Laminin Fragments in an Uncoated Manner.
Miyazaki, T. et al. Scientific reports, 2017, 7, 41165
High-Yield Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Monocytes and Macrophages Are Functionally Comparable With Primary Cells
Cui, D. et al. Frontiers in cell and developmental biology, 2021, 9, 656867-656867
Modelling SARS-CoV-2 infection and its individual differences with ACE2-expressing human iPS cells.
Sano, E. et al. iScience, 2021, 24(5), 102428-102428